What is head lice?
Head lice are tiny parasites that live on the body or in clothing and are common in school children. These parasites bite through the skin on the scalp to obtain nourishment in the form of blood. The bites cause itching, redness, and soreness in patients.
What are the symptoms?
Frequent signs and symptoms of head lice including itching and scratching of the head, though it may take 2 to 3 weeks or longer after being infected before itching symptoms start. The itching is typically more common at night. You may see eggs or nits on hair shafts, and the scalp may be red and sore.
What is the treatment?
Visit a Take Care Health Provider for easy diagnosis of head lice. Often, over the counter anti-lice products can adequately treat head lice. Follow label instructions for use and follow-up care. For manual removal, use a special nit comb.
Be sure to vacuum floors, furniture, car seats, or other items that may have been contaminated. Machine wash clothing and bedding in hot water. Dry in the dryer’s hot-air cycle.
To help prevent contracting head lice, bathe and shampoo hair often. Do not share combs, brushes, or hats with others and wash combs and brushes carefully.
If you believe you have a medical emergency, please call 911.